Within the midst of its crackdown on password sharing, Netflix additionally launched a extra reasonably priced ad-supported tier of its service in November. Sadly on the time, although, it was solely accessible on a selected listing of supported gadgets — a listing that didn’t embrace the Apple TV.
It appeared like an odd omission because the new ad-supported tier was accessible to iPhone and iPad customers working iOS/iPadOS 15 or later, and the Netflix app is a single common app that runs on all three platforms. Nonetheless, a Netflix assist web page confirmed that the Apple TV was not on the listing of supported gadgets for the brand new lower-cost plan. As a substitute, customers on the Apple TV can be prompted to improve to at the very least the Primary ad-free plan in the event that they needed to observe on the massive display screen.
Fortunately, that seems to have modified with the newest model of the Netflix app. Though Netflix’s assist web page doesn’t but mirror this, a Reddit consumer in Germany (through flatpanelshd) reported that it now seems to be working within the newest replace to the Netflix app.
We’ve additionally confirmed this independently in Canada and the U.S., which signifies that in case you’re an Apple TV consumer who has been ready to drag the set off on Netflix’s most reasonably priced $6.99 plan, you ought to be good to go as quickly as you replace to the newest Netflix app by way of the tvOS App Retailer.
How the Netflix ‘Primary with Advertisements’ Plan Works
Whereas Netflix’s ad-supported plan now works throughout your whole Apple gadgets, it’s nonetheless restricted to a couple international locations, particularly Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Spain, the UK, and the US.
If you happen to reside in a type of areas, you possibly can choose into the “Primary with Advertisements” plan for $6.99 monthly — $3 lower than the common “Primary” plan — however there are a number of limitations you’ll need to pay attention to.
- Just like the Primary plan, the utmost decision is proscribed to 720p HD and one viewing session at a time. You’ll must go for the $15.49/month Customary plan if you need 1080p HD or the $19.99/month Premium plan for 4K HDR. These higher-tier plans additionally permit for 2 and 4 simultaneous streams, respectively.
- The ad-supported plan doesn’t permit you to obtain films or TV reveals for offline viewing, presumably since that may stop Netflix from displaying well timed advertisements.
- Very like conventional cable TV, you’ll sometimes see about 4–5 minutes of interstitial advertisements per hour — advertisements that come up in the midst of no matter program you’re watching. Every advert will probably be 15 or 30 seconds lengthy.
- Sure titles, resembling new-release films, will present solely pre-roll advertisements to “protect the cinematic expertise,” in keeping with what Netflix chief working officer Greg Peters instructed reporters final fall.
- You’ll be able to’t skip advertisements or fast-forward by way of them, though you possibly can pause playback throughout an advert in case you like. On the Apple TV, advertisements seem to play in a customized media participant quite than Apple’s normal participant.
- You received’t get Netflix’s whole catalog on the ad-supported plan. The corporate is engaged on rising this, however at this level, about 5–10% of what’s on Netflix isn’t accessible on the “Primary with Advertisements” plan “on account of licensing restrictions.” These titles will present with a crimson padlock icon on them.
- You’ll want to supply your gender and date of beginning to join an ad-supported plan to assist Netflix goal you with advertisements particular to your demographic.
- Whereas the iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV are all now absolutely supported, you continue to should be working at the very least iOS 15, iPadOS 15, or tvOS 16.1 to get the newest model of the Netflix app. It’s nonetheless not supported on the PlayStation 3, older Chromecast gadgets, or the native Home windows app. Nonetheless, you possibly can nonetheless stream Netflix by way of a contemporary browser on Home windows, making the app largely pointless.
Nonetheless, Netflix’s ad-supported tier appears to have gained a whole lot of traction. Earlier this month, Bloomberg reported that it has already hit a million month-to-month energetic customers since its launch in November, accounting for about 20 p.c of latest sign-ups within the U.S. A few of this can be a results of Netflix’s latest crackdown on password sharing. Nonetheless, since that’s not fairly in full impact but, it’s seemingly largely made up of extra price-conscious shoppers who had both beforehand left Netflix or dismissed it outright as too costly for what it presents.